Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cannes Film Festival 2013: All Covered Up

I was just looking through the red carpet photos for the Cannes Film Festival. Normally, I scour any event for a charming formal look (I'm obsessed with all that is dressed up) that I would wear or at least dream that I COULD wear. And while scouring Cannes' photos, I was struck by how many women were walking the red carpet all covered up. Is this a trend? I don't know. But I find it remarkable. Here my Top 10 Favorite looks from ladies who dare not to bare all that much:

Petra Nemcova at the Red Carpet screening for "Behind the Candelabra". And her pretty number isn't even peek-a-boo from behind.

This is Berenice Bejo. I know nothing else about her, but I love her romatinc-bride-meets-business ensemble.

Here you have Alessandra Ambrosio. She and Petra seem to be on the same wave-length, amping up their curvy silhouettes with metallic fabrics. She cuts like a knife in this number. Sadly, I did just have Bryan Adams run through my head after I typed that, but it makes the statement no less true.

And can you ever go wrong with glitter? Well, yes you can. But in this case, Mizz Kristin Scott Thomas, at the Red Carpet Premiere for "Only God Forgives", you are just so right in this dress. And I love the understated tone of your bracelet and that you decided to leave the neckline bare and do dangly earrings instead. Even your hair is perfectly made for this look.

Here you have Fan Bingbing, with a soft and romantic gown on a strong woman with lips that could kill.

It seems Adrien Brody couldn't stay away from Lara Lieto at the Cannes Film premiere of "Behind the Candelabra". I can't say I blame him. I mean, she looks amazing. Nonetheless, I was hard-pressed to find a clear shot without him hanging all over this stunning woman. Until I did! It was worth the hunt. :)
Clearly, I have a thing for blinged-out armor gowns. But I'm not the only one. These ladies are wearing it. I'm just posting.

Aishwarya Rai is stunning in this detailed, beaded lace masterpiece. I tend to get unimpressed with black dresses. There are just so many. But this one has too much drama to overlook.

Li Yuchun went with a blood red, pant suit. She wears her femininity on her chest by bearing billows of ruffles, rather than her boobs. A cape -- now THAT is an unusual accessory. I think she looks amazing.

Mila Jovovich ditched the drama and went for a pretty print instead. Her statuesque frame doesn't hurt this look at all. It's a very modern, artsy look. And her simple hair is a great accessory to the less formal look.

Here's Cheryl Cole at the Cannes premiere of "Jimmy P". Never underestimate the appeal of lace over a flesh-colored fabric. It's always a hot number.

So those, are my Top 10 Favorites. Shockingly enough, there were so many dresses, the couldn't all fit in my list of Top Ten. Some are alright, and some looks aren't my favorite. But I want you to see them, just so you know how incredibly covered up these premieres have been. For your feasting eyes, the other lovely ladies include:

Florence Welch, Cannes 2013

 Melita Toscan Du Plantier, Cannes 2013

 Samantha Barks Cannes 2013

 Eva Longoria, Cannes 2013

 Kirsten Dunst, Cannes 2013

 Jessica Chastain, Cannes 2013

 Rosario Dawson, Cannes 2013

 Elsa Zylberstein, Cannes 2013

 Maji -da Abdi, Cannes 2013

 Mary Cameron Goodyear, Cannes 2013

 Barbara Palvin, Cannes 2013

Nicole Kidman, Cannes 2013

Mouna Ayoub, Cannes 2013

5 comments:

  1. I think my favorite was Cheryl Cole. I love lace over flesh-colored fabric.

    How come I didn't know you had this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you can see, I'm not as good at keeping up with this blog. Besides, how many blogs of mine are you supposed to be expected to keep up with? :) You can tell by my blogging habits that I like to compartmentalize my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, how about Lea Seydoux at the Cannes Closing Ceremony and premiere of Zulu.

    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/rFBECg8eKWv/Zulu+Premieres+in+Cannes/TM3_4WwP8hp/Lea+Seydoux

    I couldn't find one of her by herself, but I really like the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Robert Redford's wife: http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-premiere-1368641839-slideshow/all-is-lost-premiere-the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-photo--843370739.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice full-length one of Rosario Dawson. http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-premiere-1368641839-slideshow/cleopatra-premiere-the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-photo--921334637.html

    And I like this one on Octavia Spencer.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-premiere-1368641839-slideshow/fruitvale-station-premiere-the-66th-annual-cannes-film-festival-photo--1353637406.html;_ylt=AkwV0axcnLXxUuB9AFxyw_170WJH;_ylu=X3oDMTNyMGE2aXMzBHBrZwNhZTJkOWM4OS04YmFjLTM0YWItYTc3ZS1lMTQ3YTc0NmM1ZjgEcG9zAzY5BHNlYwNNZWRpYUNhcm91c2VsUGhvdG9HYWxsZXJ5Q0FYSFIEdmVyAzY0ZjgyNzcyLWJlNzItMTFlMi1iY2Y3LWE4NjFhN2NhMzFmMg--;_ylg=X3oDMTBhYWM1a2sxBGxhbmcDZW4tVVM-;_ylv=3

    Okay, I'll stop hijacking your comments.

    ReplyDelete